Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

An Outlook tip for organizing inbox items, without using 'rules'

Recently while clearing some SPAM, I accidentally shift-deleted my 'Unread Emails' folder, underneath my 'Search Folders' item in Outlook, this was bad as it's a folder I use quite a bit, and a quick google search told me it was unrecoverable.....however it is re-creatable, and in the process I discovered that there is a powerful tool to create custom search folders that will sort your emails and hold only the ones you specify.  For example, if I wanted to set up a folder, that had only emails from TMF, I could do this, it would NOT remove the emails from my inbox (it doesn't 'move' them at all), it would just display only the TMF emails in that folder, pretty neat no?

Here is how it's done.

In Outlook, on the folder list on the left hand side, underneath your personal information store (beneath your name), right click on the item 'Search Folders', and choose 'New Search Folder', a window will pop up giving multiple choices for the type of Search Folder you wish to create, see....pictures!
At the bottom of the list is even a 'Customize Search Folder', where you can create your own custom criteria, I admit I haven't played too much with that part of it, as all I needed was my Unread Email folder back, but I am certain staff can make good use of this neat little organizational and efficiency tool.  Please post any suggestions or tips you might have on this feature in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment